Sunday, December 19, 2010

open up a can...

What a great way to give (or receive) a present!  I altered clean empty paint cans to make fun gift cans.  I started with empty unused cans that I bought at a discount from my friend's hardware store.  Then I added my favorite scrapbook paper using a layer of mod podge on the can and more on the paper.  Then I glued a ribbon or paper around the middle to hide my seams and decorated the lids.  Add ribbons to the handle and tie on a paint can key to open up the treasure.  Viola!  A gift can can be stuffed with soooo many things!  The quart size cans are perfect for gift cards or jewelry.  The possibilities for gallon sized cans are endless! 

I filled this can with my famous chocolate chip cookies and gave it as a gift to my son's teacher.  It's a great way to use up ribbon scraps.

My favorite thing about altered cans is combining fun prints and patterns and making them one of a kind.  I glued on a big silk flower and used some sequin ribbon for added bling.

They make great "masculine" gifts for our manly friends too.  I've customized them with sports themes, fishing themes, golf, etc.

Girly cans are great for shower presents.  Stuff them with baby goodies or make an adult version for a bachlorette party.  The possibilities are endless!!!

I made a snowman can by hand stitching a mouth and cutting a carrot nose out of felt.

I love to receive gift cards, but the little quart sized cans make giving them so much more fun.  I used plain red cardstock for Santa's suit, then cut white cotton batting for the trim and lid. I finished off with black velvet ribbon and a gold buckle punch for Santa's belt.  This would also be great filled with cocoa mix or tea or any kind of candy or snack mix. 

No comments:

Post a Comment