Sunday, March 24, 2013

a BOY and his temporary DOG

This week's sketch challenge was hard to fit into a busy week.  The original sketch and details about the weekly challenge can be found HERE.  After having relatives visit for the weekend, I was hard pressed for crafty time.  I ended up using photos that are over 2 years old to create a page about my son and our rescue dog.
I hung onto these photos for so long, debating on whether I even wanted to include them in my son's scrapbook.  My title shows that the dog was, in fact, just a temporary pet.  My boys wanted a dog for years and we finally decided to take the plunge and rescue a low shedding dog that might not irritate my allergies.  We found "Jill" at a rescue 90 minutes away and picked her up on September 4, 2010.  We promptly changed her name to Ruby and started our adventure as pet owners. Turns out allergies were the least of my worries.  Long story short, Ruby wasn't all she was advertised to be.  Practically everything we were told about her turned out to be wrong.  She wasn't a good fit for a busy working family with no other animals.  After lots of problems, prayers, tears, and family discussions, we ultimately decided to return her to the foster home where she lived before.  It just wasn't meant to be.  I decided to scrap this page anyway, even though Ruby is no longer living with us.  I decided that 20 years from now, Caleb will want to see pictures of his dog, even if it was only his for 3 months.  The boys are still eager to find a "replacement" but I'm a little more apprehensive after this experience.  Maybe someday we'll find a good dog for us....

No comments:

Post a Comment