Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Snow Day Challenge

Since I was lucky enough to get a paid day off work due to loads of snow and crazy low temperatures, I decided to spend some time in my scrappy space while my boys were happily playing.  Without a sketch or specific project in mind, I set out to challenge myself.  Die cut papers and pre-printed backgrounds always intimidate me, so I decided to tackle some "challenging" papers.

The first paper, Red Rover by Pink Paislee, has open cut outs as part of the pre-printed page.  It's hard to see in this photo, because the "b side" of the paper beneath shows through.  There were 3 open circles, two open stars, and a row of cut out stars at the top of the page that had nothing behind them.


 
Pages designed like this could be time savers, but they are almost impossible for me to use.  I struggled with finding photos and papers to put behind the "open" spaces and then cut out some circle shaped photos to fill in some of the other circles.  Finally, I added some washi, spray ink, star die cuts, a flag, a button, and some "faux stitching".  I even threw in a few sequins in honor of my sequin lovin' friend Melissa! Here's what I came up with:

 
My second "challenge" paper was the "b side" of this page from Simple Stories' 24/seven collection:
I love the randomness of the background paper, but haven't been able to make it work with any of my earlier layouts because I feel the need to "incorporate" the background prints.  After way too much analysis, I finally came up with this page featuring my oldest son.  The embellishments and papers are all from the 24/seven collection and the title was die cut using my Cameo.

 There was a journaling card with a phrase that I wanted to include, but I couldn't work the card into my layout in a pleasing way, so I cut apart the journaling card and put the words directly on my photo.
I love the way it turned out and I'm so glad I challenged myself to use these papers today.  Hope you're all warm and cozy and finding time to be crafty!  Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment