I volunteered to make 2 dozen cupcakes for my child's school fundraiser tomorrow night. Since I'm looking soooo forward to warmer weather, I decided to make some fun flower cupcakes that are sure to be a hit. I copied the idea from a Family Fun magazine a while back. They are so simple to make. Here's what you'll need:
Make a batch of cupcakes and frost them with white icing when completely cooled. You can go all gourmet and make some fancy cupcakes from scratch or use a good ol' box mix. I'll never tell which method I used. Although, I will say that this was done on a Friday night after working all week, so you can just guess. You'll also need a big bag of marshmallows and some gumdrops.
Stand a marshmallow on end and use freshly washed scissors or kitchen shears to snip off a layer across the top of the marshmallow. The scissors squish the marshmallow just enough to make a nice petal shape. How thick you cut the layer of marshmallow will also determine how much the petal curls up. I got 4-5 petals from each marshmallow. Don't worry, any deformed petals can be quickly snarfed up by your little munchkins. I found that I needed to wash the gooey marshmallow off of my scissors after every 3 to 4 marshmallows to make clean cuts. Next, take five "petals" and arrange them atop a freshly iced cuppycake. This should be done while the icing is still sticky, before it sets up, so that the marshmallows stick to the cupcake. Then add a dab of icing to the bottom of a gumdrop and stick it in the center of the flower.
Voila! Now you have a beautiful flower cupcake that is good enough to eat (and impress a bunch of elementary school kids at the cake walk)!
These would also look great using the strawberry flavored pink marshmallows or the pastel rainbow hues. I also think these flower cupcakes would look super cute arranged on a fancy cupcake stand! Thanks for looking!
I love this idea! Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDelete